Tags:
create new tag
view all tags

Mosques of the Bosphorus

The marvels of the Bosphorus waterway which twists through Istanbul and on to the Black Sea have been applauded in verse terms by endless authors throughout the long term.

Its beautiful shores turned into the most loved spot to spend the sweltering late spring a long time for kings and subjects the same, and waterfront castles and chateaus jumped up along the waterway. This was the reason the twentieth century artist Yahya Kemal portrayed the Bosphorus as the 'late spring capital.'

Mosque minarets stand guard obligation in all the towns along the waterway, yet consideration is once in a while paid to these normally little and humble mosques. As writer Ahmet Hamdi Tanpinar remarked, 'theirs is certainly not a monumental sultanate like Beyazid, Suleymaniye or Sultanahmet. These are minuscule mosques that appear to soften into the security of the city.' Indeed, in the event that it were not for their minarets, they would scarcely be recognizable from the houses around them.

The greater part of the scores of mosques worked for the Muslim people group which got comfortable the Bosphorus towns resemble old however astute men with twisted backs standing by quietly for our consideration. Allow us to start our visit at Uskudar on the Asian shore at the southern mouth of the Bosphorus, and travel north to the extent Beykoz. Our first stop is Silahtar Abdurrahman Aga Mosque, otherwise called Pasalimani Mosque, on Pasalimani Caddesi, which joins Uskudar to Kuzguncuk. This mosque was worked by the armorer to Mustafa III in 1766. It is a fevkani or two-story mosque, with the mosque appropriate on the upper floor. The roofs and floors are of wood. On the southwest substance of the minaret, the plinth is a sundial bearing the date 1766. Then, we go to the beguiling Uryanizade Mescit close to Cemil Molla Kosk. This little mescit (a mosque not utilized for Friday supplications) takes after a small 'yali' or waterfront house and was worked by Uryanizade Ahmet Esat Efendi, seyhulislam (head of the specialists of standard law) to Abdulhamid II (1876-1909).

On the ground floor of this wood mosque is a boat storage. Another energizing component is the squat minaret with an overhang as a structure. From Cengelkoy, which is one of only a handful few puts on the Bosphorus to have protected its previous character in parts, we go to Kuleli. Here Kuleli Military College looks simply equivalent to it did when Thomas Allom showed it in his etchings in the mid nineteenth century. Close to it is one of the loveliest Bosphorus mosques, Kaymak Mustafa Pasa Mosque, inherent 1720 by Kaymak Mustafa Pasa, child in-law to Nevsehirli Ibrahim Pasa. This rectangular stone mosque with a wooden rooftop was broadly reestablished lately. The porch and illustrious exhibition were included 1837. On the seafront close to the quay is the unassuming Vanikoy Mosque, underlying 1665 by Vani Mehmet Efendi. Mahmut I (1730-1754) added an illustrious exhibition to the rectangular mosque, which has stone work dividers and a pitched rooftop. Presently we come to Goksu, a most loved cookout and journey place in the nineteenth century.

Here we discover Anadolu Hisari Mosque, likewise called Fatih Mosque, again of the two-story type with a regal exhibition worked by Sultan Mehmet II (1451-1481) as per Huseyin Ayvansarayî in his book named 'Hadikatul Cevami.' This mosque was at first on the seafront yet remade in its current position when the new street among Hisar and Kanlica was built.

Close to Kanlica quay, where paddling boats of all tones are secured, is Iskender Pasa Mosque, one of the more modest yet wonderful works of the most commended sixteenth century Ottoman draftsman Mimar Sinan. It has a wooden colonnade and stone-walled patio, and on the grounds are the burial chamber of the author and a horologe room. Abandoning this region renowned for its excellence on twilight evenings, we reach Beykoz, the keep going stop on the Asian shore. In the square here, the Fountain of Ishak Aga is more striking than the mosque.

This is one of the alleged Ten Fountains, and the sound of running water makes a charming sound like the more established men sitting tight for supplication time sit in discussion under the plane tree. Beykoz Mosque was at first worked by Bostancibasi Mustafa Aga yet revamped altogether in 1809, as such countless other old mosques. It is another two-story mosque, with a wooden rooftop and patio, and has a horologe room.

Presently we crossed the Bosphorus to the European shore and passing the fuming hordes of Ortakoy come to Kurucesme, a name which signifies 'dry wellspring.' Although the sister of Kopruluzade Fazil Ahmet Pasa had the wellspring fixed with the goal that its water streamed once more, the name remained. The mosque on the landward roadside here in the fifteenth century Tezkirecibasi Osman Mosque. Worked of travertine stone, it has shops on the ground story. The platform, roof, and floor are of wood, and outside is a wellspring embellished with Seljuk stars and cypress themes.

From Kurucesme, where once imperial authorization was expected to live, we go north to Arnavutkoy, popular for its strawberries. Close to the noteworthy police headquarters is Tevfikiye Mosque, worked by Mahmut II in 1832. Since the Bosphorus current is at its most grounded here, the mosque is otherwise called Akinti Burnu (Cape of the Current) Mosque. It is worked over a cellar floor, with workmanship dividers and a wooden rooftop. There is a colonnade, imperial exhibition, and horologe room.

Then, we come to Bebek, perhaps the most famous spots to live on the Bosphorus. Bebek Mosque was at first inherent 1725 by Damat Ibrahim Pasa and devoted to Ahmet III. At the point when it fell into deterioration, it was destroyed and reconstructed in the mid twentieth century by Mustafa Hayri Efendi, head of devout establishments. The new mosque was planned by boss state draftsman Kemalettin Bey in the neo-traditional Turkish style. It is a little mosque with a solitary arch and three-narrows porch.

Our next stop is Kulle-I Cedide, also called Rumelihisari. Here are two mosques of interest, the primary Haci Kemalettin Mosque, also called the Carsi Mosque. This was initially a mescit (a little mosque not utilized for the Friday petitions and without a minaret) yet changed over into a mosque in 1743 by Mahmut I. It is a two-story working with eateries on the ground floor, workmanship dividers, and a wooden rooftop. Before it is a wellspring dated 1777. The subsequent mosque here is Ali Pertek Mosque at the lower part of the slope inverse the old arrival stage. Otherwise called Hamam Mosque, its originator was a Turkish ocean skipper, Pertek Ali Bey. Worked of rubble stone, slashed stone, and block, there is a wellspring at the edge of the south divider known as Rakim Pasa Fountain.

Passing Baltalimani Mosque, whose unique character was lost in twentieth century fixes, we come to Emirgan, well known for its park with pretty structures. This locale is named after Emirguneoglu, who gave up the Fortress of Revan to Murat IV in 1635 without a battle.

He was remunerated by the position of pasa, and in Istanbul took the name Yusuf Pasa. Emirgan Mosque faces the acclaimed spreading plane tree of Emirgan, under which journalists and erudite people used to assemble for discussion in the nineteenth and mid twentieth hundreds of years. It was established in 1781 by Abdulhamid I in memory of his child Mehmet who passed on at an early age and his mom, Humasah Kadin. It was based on the site of the great waterfront royal residence of Emirguneoglu Yusuf Pasa and remade during the rule of Mahmut II. It is a square mosque with a wooden rooftop, and connecting the eastern façade is a two-story wooden hunkar kasri (regal structure utilized by the king when he visited the mosque). The horologe room close to the wellspring is presently involved by a café.

Somewhat further on, we go to the profound narrows of Istinye, when known as the Little Golden Horn, where there were shipyards in Ottoman occasions. Today there are current speedboats and yachts secured all around the inlet, sitting above, which is Mahmut Cavus Mosque.

Past Istinye is Yenikoy, a pretty and prosperous town since the eighteenth century. The name 'new town' was given by Sultan Suleyman the Magnificent in the sixteenth century. Perhaps the loveliest mosque here is Osman Reis Mosque close to the quay, established via ocean skipper Osman Aga. Subsequent to being fixed on various events, it was modified completely by Ahmet Arif Pasa in 1903 and is viewed as quite possibly the most enchanting instances of neo-traditional Turkish design. The inside dividers are covered with stenciled design.

In Buyukdere, where long hundreds of years prior, the crusader armed force is said to have stayed outdoors in the shade of not any more broadened surviving extraordinary plane trees, there are two structures we should see. The first is the sixteenth century Cerrah Mahmut Efendi Mosque on Cayirbasi Caddesi. This stone work walled, wooden roofed mosque has a wellspring in its burial ground divider worked in 1783 by High Admiral Cezayirli Hasan Pasa. The second mosque of interest here is Kara Kethuda Mosque. From the shore, just the minaret and some portion of the rooftop are noticeable through the trees.

This two-story mosque has workmanship dividers and a wooden rooftop. The mihrab specialty is brightened with Kutahya tiles. Broad adjustments have been done throughout the long term. Sariyer, well known for its cakes, puddings, and frozen yogurt, is the keep going stop on our visit. This region has consistently been a famous summer retreat, with its green woods and knolls, clean air, and restorative spring water. Ali Kethuda Mosque was fixed in 1720 by Maktul Mehmet Aga. At the point when the new waterfront street was based on heaps along this piece of the Bosphorus a couple of years prior, the mosque lost its situation on the seafront. It is a rectangular structure with workmanship dividers and a wooden rooftop. As we take a gander at the exquisite view from Sariyer landing stage once and for all and get ready to wend our way back, we can recollect what Huseyin Cahit said of the Bosphorus: 'We should encounter this spot as a place where there is verse and dreams, in the landscape and customs of its past and life.'

Need to find out about the religion in Turkey too? Check this connection and let us know whether you would be keen on visiting some other off-the-beaten spots in the country.

-- Dipesh Mahalika - 2021-01-22

Comments

Topic revision: r1 - 2021-01-22 - DipeshMahalika
 
This site is powered by the TWiki collaboration platform Powered by PerlCopyright © 2008-2021 by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding TWiki? Send feedback